Fireworks which were placed in a letterbox started a fire at a house in north Belfast.
The incident occurred at Dunmore Walk yesterday evening (Friday, January 11) just before 7pm.
There was no one in the house at the time and the fire was extinguished by a neighbour.
Damage was caused to the door as a result of the incident.
Detective Sergeant Duffield is appealing for anyone who witnessed the incident or anyone who has information that could assist with the investigation to contact detectives in Musgrave Police Station on 101, quoting reference 1049 11/01/19.
Alternatively, information can also be provided to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, which is 100% anonymous and gives people the power to speak up and stop crime.